Thursday, November 29, 2012

Our Journey with Self-Sustainable Living


It all started a few years ago when my husband took up hiking (up mountains) as a sport. It gradually turned into an even bigger interest of how to do things "naturally" in the wood like in the old days. Now, this type of information has always appealed to me. One of my favorite books as a child was Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen and that was followed by Brian's Winter. Even as a child, any book that revolved around living in the wild got me completely absorbed in it's story, I loved them!

Through our research of self-sustainability, it led us to learn more about the environment, society and food in general. I was more focused on the environment  food, healthy eating, and natural healing  as it all tied in together. Well, truth be told, the self-sustainable living also has an extremely strong foothold in all of this as well.

We lived the typical life in the city at the time and never had any money. Everything went to bills and constantly working, there was never any living and we were tired of it. We were tired of feeling like puppets for the government and society, we wanted to live OUR way.

After about a year and a half of researching, we decided that we were going to go off-grid. We didn't have a set plan of how we were going to do this, but darnit, we WERE going to do it. First thing we did was move out of our house. We bought an RV and this year we bought our 16 acres of land in MO. From the point we fully decided we were going to do this, it took us one year to find land, buy it and move on it. Not even a solid plan of how we were going to get to where we wanted, but we just believed it was going to happen, and it is!

This next year will be spent on building an eco-home. There are so many options from earthship, to earthbag, cinderblock, cob, haybale, cordwood and many more...

Eco home, solar panels, rain catching, donkeys, chickens, goats, garden, green house - oh my, I can't wait!

~*Spirit*~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. I'm anxious to hear how it progresses. The same thing has been heavily laying on my heart. My husband and I live in a rural town in a primarily agriculural (but also resort, as we're near the ocean). I've converted to buying all produce and dairy from local, organic sources. I grow my own herbs for healing. I've looked into hens for eggs, but have not yet worked out the logistics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome! I love hearing of others during their own journey. It definitely takes a long time to get *everything* that we want, but in the end I know it'll totally be worth it! Very jealous you're near the ocean, oh how I would love to see it again... I haven't looked into hens just yet, we are more concerned with getting some Guinea Chickens due to the very high bug, tick and copperhead snake count on our land. Once we clear a bit more of our land we'll be able to make a lovely coop so we can have our own chicken eggs. Best of luck on your journey ♥ ~*Spirit*~

    ReplyDelete