Monday, May 7, 2012

Dragons...

Dragons.  What do you know about them?  Like most people you probably only know what you've heard in fairytales.  There's more to them then just what has been put into the stories that we read to our children.

Dragon came from the Latin word draconem meaning "huge serpent". They have been part of mythology forever.  They have even made appearances in Jewish religion texts (in the books of Job and Isaiah). For the most part, dragons are portrayed as fierce, fire-breathing, lizard-like, scaly creatures that the knight in shining armor defeats to save the damsel in distress.  Or portrayed as recluses, living in caves in remote regions and guarding treasures.  Treasures that whomever slayed said dragon would gain when the dragon was dead. Think of Beowulf, he died fighting a treasure-guarding dragon according to stories.

As late as the 17th century dragons were still being written about as if they existed. In many ways they could still exist today if you look at it.  Crocodiles, iguanas, and other lizards are about as close as you're going to get with out actually getting a dragon itself.

Dragons have become symbols for various cultures and religions over the centuries.  Some people such as myself really connect with dragons and see them as a totem.

My personal experience with the dragon that is my guide and totem has been profound! Being that I'm totally connected to the element of fire, it's not surprising in the least that a dragon has been my guide - a red dragon at that!  He's helped guide me when I've asked for guidance, he's been the one that I've used to help draw energy when I need it while doing meditation, rituals, readings, energy work, etc. You never know what or when your guide is going to show their heads and make themselves known to you.  Do you have a guide or totem?

I don't remember exactly where I found this picture but change the girl's hair to red and this is how I feel with my dragon.

We love to hear from you!  Feel free to comment here or over on our Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sisters-Elemental/161754110593775

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your post about dragons. I also have associations with dragons. I have a guide who is best described as a faerie dragon, and when she's got something to say she certainly lets me know.

    ReplyDelete